ALA Last Day of School
Monday, June 19, 2017
Abbott Lawrence Academy (ALA) offers students in Lawrence an opportunity previously unavailable to most: the chance to experience a rich and rewarding honors education in the tradition of the most prestigious independent schools in the country, free of charge. ALA provides equal opportunity to all students in the city, leveling the playing fields for Lawrence students who want to accelerate their learning. ALA promises a first-of-its-kind experience: the personalization of an accelerated academic program combined with access to the robust enrichment programs available to LHS. The result is a school that challenges its students every day and ultimately prepares them for admission to the nation’s most competitive colleges and universities.
Our Core Values
The excitement begins in the summer! Abbott Lawrence Academy (ALA) students complete a summer reading/writing assignment before walking through our doors. After ninth grade, ALA students attend an intensive, five-week summer program focused on combining rigorous academic work with enrichment opportunities.
ALA students are determined and encouraged to be the best they can be. The program is competitive, and only accepts up to 100 students per grade level per year. Students who are accepted show exceptional promise and drive in the classroom and community and are willing to make mistakes in order to learn and grow.
ALA students care about their community. Our program requires students to engage in meaningful community service work both within our school and in the community at large. By instilling leadership and the core values of hard work, determination, and citizenship, ALA strives to develop caring and well-informed graduates who will make an impact of the city of Lawrence, the state of Massachusetts, and the world!
The ALA Experience
Students at ALA will:
· Participate in at least one sport or club at LHS per year
· Complete a capstone project each year focusing on research, writing, and thesis development.
· Complete a summer academy at a prestigious independent school.
· Attend February and April vacation academies with tours to the nations elite colleges and universities (Harvard, Yale, etc.)
· Participate in 25 hours of community service each year
· Become members of GEAR UP which awards up to $4,000 to graduates for college
· Be eligible for the John and Abigail Adams Scholarship which provides free college tuition to state schools based on MCAS performance
· Take classes at the Advanced Honors or AP Level with students eligible to take AP courses beginning their sophomore year.
· Enjoy brand new facilities located within the LHS Campus Learning Commons.
· Receive a free, public education right here in Lawrence with a private school feel.
Clubs & Sports offered at LHS:
Art Club Book Club
Chess Club Dance Team
Drama Fitness Club
Baseball Student Government
Softball Youth Advisory Council
Mock Trial Wrestling
Robotics & Coding Golf
Writer’s Club Cross Country
Cheerleading Field Hockey
Boys Soccer Girls Soccer
Boys Basketball Girls Basketball
Boys Volleyball Girls Volleyball
Indoor Track Outdoor Track
Football National Honor Society
School Newspaper Excel Exchange Club
Harvard Model Congress Kiwanis Key Club International
Theater Student Ambassadors
Dance Squash Busters (SQB)